Wednesday, 11 October 2017

CALAMARI WITH VEGES


My friend from Uganda visited and she really loves sea food. As a good hostess, (she gave me this title, hahahah) I decided to cook some for her. We decided to cook calamari, truth be told I had eaten calamari so many times but I had never cooked it. So this was a first time for me. I was amazed by the results, so was my friend. It was so yummy! We overfed!

INGREDIENTS
¼ cup cooking oil
1 chopped big onion
5 crushed cloves garlic
1 chopped big carrot
1 chopped green pepper
200gms chopped spinach, steamed and drained.
250gms squid/calamari rings
¼ tsp red chili powder
1 chicken knorr cube (this is salty, so I didn’t add salt)
Half a bunch chopped coriander

METHOD
  • ·         Heat the oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Add the onion and sauté until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute longer.
  • ·        Add the carrots, green pepper and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the spinach and sauté for 2 minutes then add calamari to this mixture and let it cook for about 3 minutes.
  • ·         Stir in the red chili powder and the knorr cube, let this simmer for 2 minutes.
  • ·         Add coriander to this and let it simmer for 1 minute.
  • ·         Remove from heat and serve over rice.


TIP: Squid must be cooked either a very short time or a very long time. Anything in between turns it into rubber. Two minutes over high heat is plenty. Beyond that will require at least 30 minutes to an hour to re-tenderize it.



No comments:

Post a Comment