Monday, 10 October 2011

Split Peas (dengu)


Last Saturday was a good day... For the first time I made split peas (dengu) and they came out splendid. At least everyone who tasted liked them. Amazing! Here is the recipe, try it out!

½ a kilo split peas
3 cups water
1 big onion chopped
1 teaspoon garlic paste
1 teaspoon ginger paste
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
½ teaspoon turmeric
½ teaspoon white pepper


Procedure

Boil the split peas, till tender but not so tender, to avoid it being over cooked.
In another saucepan fry onions till translucent then add the ginger and garlic paste.
Stir fry for about 2 minutes then add salt, turmeric, cumin, coriander and white pepper.
Let it simmer for 2 minutes while stirring then add the split peas without water.
By now you should be feeling the nice aroma from your food. Keep on turning after every 2 minutes for 10 minutes.
There you go! Your sauce is ready.

Serve with chapati or rice.
Enjoy!!!

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly I never knew what "dengu" was called in English. Asante sana lolz and now i'll start buying them, I'm working with Indians so the make them so often but I was always afraid of eating them because i did not know their composition, but now thanks to you I'll start cooking them

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heya! lol...now you know. They are tasty, you just need to know the right spices to put in. Thanks dear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. aaaaah split peas???waoh..dint know. but av got a Qn?how do you make the garlic n ginger paste/..so if it sounds stupid

    ReplyDelete
  5. You just pound them Sammie to make a paste... It's not stupid to ask.lol. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought ndengu was green grams..the split ones and whole ones...

    The split peas are dried green peas and are yellow....??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dengu is split peas, yep the yellow ones and green ones. Green grams is pojo/choroko.

    ReplyDelete
  8. na peas ni pojo my dear ama? sorry to ask

    ReplyDelete
  9. peas ni njegere, pojo ni green grams. You don't have to be sorry, you can ask anything Nansay.

    ReplyDelete